Monday, October 1, 2007

I must be crazy

because tonight for family home evening....I pretty much taught Connor how to:

  • get out of his room to the outside of the house ALL by himself
  • get Wyatt out of his crib
  • how to unlock the porch area to get ALL the way out
  • how to start a fire (kinda)

What was I thinking? :)

Really, we went over what to do if there is a fire and he needs to get out of the house or if the smoke detector goes off. My brother-in-law came over and helped me. We checked all of the detectors to make sure they worked and made a plan and decided on a meeting place.....then......we tested him. HEE HEE! I am wicked! The smoke detector wouldn't go off with the candle lighter thing I have, so we lit some paper on fire and Connor freaked out. I had told him how dangerous smoke is and now he could smell it! He found something to cover his face and hit the floor to crawl around. He was crying! I had to talk him through what we had practiced and he was able to do it...but it was a good lesson for me that if something really did happen they would be so scared and maybe just panic & freeze! Needless to say we practiced a ton more (without making any more fires) and he has it down pat. You should see the way he flips Wyatt out of his crib and they crawl on their bellies. Connor says, "Wyatt, this is just practice. Don't worry, I won't die. Don't be scared." It was fun, they would get in their beds, Ben would push the alarm and tell them where the fire was in the house and I would be outside at our meeting place to see if Connor could get them both out.

P.S. (I always have a P.S.!) Connor said, how am I supposed to do all of this? I'm a five year old!

Man, I hope we don't have a fire, that would be horrible.

Um, I might push that dang alarm sometime one night.........................

12 comments:

Anamarie said...

That is such a smart thing to do! Kids are so resiliant and once they have been taught and they understand why, it will all work out. Great Job!

Amber said...

That was an awesome idea! Good job!

Melody said...

It's sad because ever since we had our emergency FHE, Faith prays that there will be no fire in our house and starts to cry a little. I still have to keep telling her it'll be o.k. it was just practice. And about the fire alarms...my kids don't wake up! We set them off one night and they slept through it! So we tried the alarm system which is SOOOO loud and still nothing! Scary huh! Thank goodness though, it all wakes Jason & I up!!!

Mucho take it easy... said...

"Wyatt, this is just practice. Don't worry, I won't die.


Hilarious!

Brooke said...

Ya, Ben and I were crackin' up but tried not to let the kids see us. It was so funny.

And Melody, that is freaky that they don't wake up! Now I reallly want to try it out at night!

Kris said...

Such good mothering skills! I got a little teary eyed when I read "Wyatt, this is just practice. Don't worry, I won't die. Don't be scared." Such precious boys.

Melody - hi, you might want to check out the smoke detectors that have your voice programmed into them. Heard they work better than just the alarm ones.

Emily said...

Ben came home last night telling me that I wouldn't believe what you were teaching your kids to do.Then he adds that you're teaching them what to do if there's a fire. What a great idea! I hope they never have to experience the real thing.

Caitlin said...

When I was little, I used to worry about not having an emergency plan. I was older than five though...

Amber said...

Brooke- when I picked up Connor today for school he was telling me all about it! Sounds like he is going to remember.

Brooke said...

OK I have a confession...it was all Alex's idea to the fire safety thing and then he couldn't come to FHE that night. He had a great idea though. Bro. Pitts(a fire chief) gave me a bunch of stuff to use too. He's really cool!

Amanda said...

That's a great idea!!! I love that you do family home evening. I need to be better!!! I'm like the kids that sleep through the fire alarm!

Jen Rose said...

Good idea Brooke! You're such a great mom!

About Me

My photo
I enjoy making it through the day.