Saturday, April 21, 2007

April 2005:

"When I attended our ward's young men/young women display of Jospeh Smith projects, I was absolutely amazed and inspired. I went home that evening determined to do something of my own, something that would represent my testimony of Joseph Smith. When my children thumb through our family albums, I want them to see these pages and know how important Joseph Smith is to me and that I have a testimony that through him, the gopsel was restored to the earth. I am so grateful for Joseph Smith and all that he endured so that we can have the gospel in our lives and enjoy its many blessings. I want my children to know that the gospel has blessed my life in every aspect and that we can get answers to our prayers, have great faith and endure hard things in our lives, just as Joseph did." - Brooke Duke



I was (am) missing the boys because they are with their dad, so I got the scrapbooks out to see their cute little faces. I love looking at their baby pictures. I came across these pages and it made me think a lot. I wrote this before I had really been tested on the "hard" things. I want to say I'm thankful for my testimony....but it doesn't seem to really convey how grateful I am. But I am! And I am so thankful for Joseph Smith...not only what he did in bringing the gospel to this dispensation, but for his example on how to endure "hard" things. Years ago I taught a R.S. lesson from the conference talk "Enduring Well" by Elder Maxwell (who was being treated for cancer at the time) where he said that the Lord had partaken of the bitter cup without becoming bitter. That has stuck with me over the years and that's how I think of Joseph Smith as well. He endured so much without becoming bitter. We can too..............
I also know now, more than I did then, that Heavenly Father does answer our prayers. I love Joseph Smith's example of this. He had a question, a sincere question he brought before Heavenly Father. And he received an answer. I'm not saying we will all be personally visited by the Lord and Heavenly Father - but I am saying we will reveive an answer...in some way.

2 comments:

Amber said...

Brooke, I love those pages. I also love the idea that you just don't just need to scrapbook about you family but also your testimony! I enjoyed reading this! It has made me think.

Emily said...

I always love hearing you bare your testimony! I'm so glad you scrapbooked those pages.

About Me

My photo
I enjoy making it through the day.